Connecticut and New York, Children’s Rights Attorney
Attorney Phillip J. Cohn is dedicated to helping families with any type of children’s rights issues, commencing in early childhood and extending into adulthood. He recognizes that it’s easy for parents and their children to feel scared and helpless when facing complex education laws and the court system. With his help, you can rest assured that an experienced children’s rights attorney will help you navigate this complex legal system and protect your rights. Attorney Phillip J. Cohn is a Partner at Goldman, Gruder & Woods, LLC, a full-service firm with experience in litigation, corporate, and real estate law.
Phillip J. Cohn, Esq.
Attorney Cohn’s interest in special education law, criminal law, and family law developed as the result of his experiences growing up as an individual with learning differences. He developed the compensatory strategies needed to overcome his learning differences and excel in academia. Phillip strives to share his knowledge and experience with his clients and champion the rights of children and adults.
Attorney Cohn works very closely with parents, schools, courts, and the child to fully understand the nature of the child’s problems, build awareness of the child’s challenges, and propose creative solutions. He utilizes a collaborative approach with school personnel, in an effort to explore all possible alternatives and take every step necessary to protect parents and their children’s rights.
Attorney Cohn presents seminars on children’s rights to parents, advocates, and educators throughout Connecticut. His most popular seminar, entitled “Special Education Law: Attorneys Representing Parents and School Boards Discuss the Issues,” addresses what all parents should know about their child’s basic special education rights, in and outside of school. This seminar is co-presented with an attorney who solely represents school districts, enabling parents to hear both sides of the story and learn how attorneys representing parents and school boards can attempt to work together to resolve various disputes.
Attorney Cohn has been published in several prominent journals, including:
- Negotiating Reasonable Accommodations with Professors in Higher Education. INSIGHTS ON LEARNING DISABILITIES, 2 (1) 47-54 (2005).
- Learning Disabilities in Law School: Coping with Traditional Legal Pedagogy from the Classroom to the Workplace. INSIGHTS ON LEARNING DISABILITIES, 14, 16-19 (2004).
- Why Does My Stomach Hurt? How Individuals With Learning Disabilities Can Use Cognitive Strategies to Reduce Anxiety and Stress at the College Level. JOURNAL OF LEARNING DISABILITIES, 31, 514-516 (1998).
- SUCCESSFUL TRANSITIONING FROM HIGH SCHOOL TO COLLEGE:
- NEGOTIATING REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS IN HIGHER
- EDUCATION (PCI Press, 2005).
- Service Provision in the United States: Listening to the Dialogue Among and Between Critical Voices. IN LEARNING DISABILITIES IN HIGHER EDUCATION AND BEYOND: AN INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE (S. Vogel ed., York Press, 2004).
Attorney Cohn has been appointed by the State of Connecticut to serve as a Surrogate Parent for children who do not have parental representation in the educational decision-making process as well as a Special Public Defender in juvenile and adult criminal matters. He attained his B.A. from Brandeis University where he graduated magna cum laude with high honors, and his J.D. from St. John’s University School of Law. He is admitted to practice law in Connecticut and New York.
When you or your child’s voice is taken away, we can help
If you feel that you or your child’s rights have been denied, and you need help navigating the complex educational and legal systems, we can help. We know the Connecticut and New York school systems and courts, and how to protect children. Experienced Education Attorney. Experienced Special Education Attorney. Contact us today!